Monday, May 23, 2016

New from old

Berlin was awesome. From a financial and time management perspective, spending 5 days away with so much to do before I take over the gallery space would seem nothing less than irresponsible, foolish, and down right crazy. But then, that seems to be the working theme these days.

I know that once the looming whirlwind begins, there will never be the truly perfect time to indulge in such an opportunity. Just like my rationale for opening the gallery is of the now-or-never variety, so was my thinking in regards to the wet plate collodion workshop.

Though the techniques themselves are so foreign to just about everything that has become modern photography, the parallels between wet plate's 160 year old processes and my fateful darkroom day some 19 years ago are not only impossible to ignore, the goosebumps remind me precisely what is was that I fell in love with in the first place.

It's amazing that something so old, can feel so new again.



A big credit and thank you to Marcin Dzieniszewski of www.tintypeberlin.com for awesome portrait, as well as the experience and hospitality that will be remembered for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment